Thursday, June 18, 2009

Shrimp Rice Bowl


As I'm sure you all realize by now, my list of stir-fries or other Asian-inspired dishes can go on and on.... but what can I say?! Cooking fresh veggies in a sweet and spicy sauce over hot oil, then eating alongside yummy jasmine rice....well, it's about as good as it gets! This dish is extra fun because it literally is a rice bowl - you stuff a small bowl with sticky jasmine rice like this:




Then flip into a second bowl for eating out of:

..and top with your delicious shrimp and veggies:

...TA-DA!!!

This recipe is something I sort of just made up, and that's not saying anything special - you could substitute beef/chicken/scallops, use whatever fun veggies are on sale, and switch up the sauces. I do think the pineapple is a must, however - it adds a sweet touch to an otherwise spicy and salty dish.


Shrimp Rice Bowls

15-20 large shrimp, raw and de-shelled
2 bell peppers, cut into chunks
1 onion, cut into chunks
1/2 can pineapple cubes
1 TBS fresh ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil
a couple drops of sesame oil
1/4 C Stir-fry sauce (I used Kikkoman's)
1/4 C Bangkok Hot Peanut Sauce
jasmine rice, cooked

1. Sautee shrimp and garlic in a bit of olive oil, with several drops of sesame oil. Cook just until pink (1-2 minutes) - you do not want to overcook the shrimp or the texture will be tough! Remove shrimp and set aside.

2. Add more olive oil to pan and sautee peppers, onion, and ginger over high heat. Turn heat to low. Add sauce, cooked shrimp and pineapple. Heat through. Spoon over hot rice.



2 comments:

J. Tolentino said...

Sarah,
Do you put water in the first rice bowl to make sure the rice drops out easily into the second bowl? I saw that somewhere and wondered if it's really necessary.

Sarah said...

Mom, I've never found a need to put water in the rice bowl first - I just stuff some rice in there, and flip it over, give it a tap, and it has always come out nicely for me. It might be a different story for different types of rice - since I pretty much only cook with jasmine rice, brown or other white rices might not be as sticky and thus water could be a good idea.