Monday, June 29, 2009

Double Tomato Bruschetta

This past weekend, we joined Brett's parents and their good friends Jim and Susie for an awesome getaway at the lake of the Ozarks. It's amazing how just three days away can be so refreshing - we spent our time taking the boat out, drinking sangria in the water, playing Farkel and Catchphrase, waterskiing, jetskiing, shooting the minnow....and of course eating tons of delicious food!!! I feel so spoiled at the lake - but I love it!

My "assignment" was to make an appetizer for Saturday night. Truthfully, I felt like my options were fairly limited - I couldn't make any of Ellen's recipes, and I couldn't make anything with too many refridgerated ingredients (we had a 5 hour car drive to get there,) and I couldn't even make a few of my tried-and-true recipes which I'd given to Ellen. I wanted something original, something flavorful, and something that everyone would love!


After a good online search, I came across this recipe on Allrecipes - what could be more summery than tomatoes, garlic and olive oil brushed onto some crispy bread?! This bruschetta recipe is TO DIE FOR - though I do have several recommendations! I will make this over and over again - if I'm lucky, it might become a lake tradition!!



Double Tomato Bruschetta
6 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 C. sundried tomatoes, packed in oil, chopped (I used food processor)
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 C olive oil - plus a bit more for brushing on the bread

2 TBS balsamic vinegar

1/4 C fresh basil(I implore you to not use dried herbs in this recipe)

salt + pepper

1 French baguette

2 C shredded mozzerela


1. Mix sundried tomtoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Let sit in fridge overnight.
2. About half-hour before serving, add chopped roma tomatoes and basil. Set aside.

3. Cut baguette into slices and brush with olive oil. Put in the oven (broil) for several minutes until toasted. Hint: Use a wire rack pan, if you have one - this lets the heat come on all sides of the toast.

4. Take the bread out of the oven. Top with tomato mixture and cheese. Put back into the oven until cheese is toasted.

And just a final thought: Susie made a great suggestion, that instead of mozzerella, using something more creamy (like goat cheese) would be the perfect topping to this already delicious appetizer. I will definitely be trying this next time!






No comments: