Friday, June 12, 2009

Mom's Chicken Broccoli Casserole


I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe on my blog yet...but better late than never! I consider my mom's chicken broccoli casserole to be a real comfort food - it's rich (as in, a-cup-of-mayonnaise-rich!), it's piping hot, and the flavor is something that brings me waaaay back to when I was young and Mom would make this on my visits to Cali. I love classic dishes like this that are always good and have a story attached - someday I will pass this recipe on to my own kids but by then, it will be "grandma's chicken broccoli casserole"!!!

I've got no secrets or hints for this one - it's straightforward enough! It does bake for an hour, so factor that into your cooking time. This would be a good one to make ahead for a weeknight dinner, and if you can't eat the whole pan, just freeze half of it for another time.

Kudos to Mom!

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

2 10-oz packages of frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 C real Hellman's mayo
1 TBS lemon juice
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 C toasted almonds
1/2 C toasted bread crumbs
2 TBS melted butter

Put broccoli in bottom of 9x11 greased casserole pan; spread diced chicken over the top of the broccoli. In a medium bowl, mix soup, mayo, lemon juice, curry, cheese and almonds. Pour over chicken. In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove foil for last ten minutes to toast bread crumbs. Let sit five minutes before eating.



No comments: