Monday, March 30, 2009

Mom's Poppy Seed Bread


A short story...
On this shelf of mine, I have a very special cookbook, given to me by Mom a few years back.





I go through it ALL the time and am dreading the day when I have to decide what to do - oh my! - when it fills up.




Mom spent a lot of time on this, you can tell...and probably far too long in the Hobby Lobby sticker aisle.




Every now and then, I get the urge to bake a treat for myself. Since it's only me for the time being, a loaf of bread or batch of cookies generally lasts me all week. While flipping through Mom's cookbook, I decided to give her poppy seed bread a try. I remember her making it for co-workers when I was a kid, and wrapping it in cellophane, then giving away as gifts. Mom, I might steal your idea and give it away myself this Christmas!

It's simply awesome. So moist, very fluffy yet dense at the same time, sweet enough without being too sweet, and it goes perfect with a glass of milk before bedtime. What's even better is that there's no "mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, blah blah blah" - you get ONE bowl and add FIVE things (okay, six, but water doesn't count.) Then stir, and bake. Ta da!




Mom's Poppy Seed Bread

1 pkg yellow cake mix (2 layer)
1 pkg instant coconut pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 C oil
1 C hot water
1/4 C poppy seeds

Using mixer, mix all ingredients for 4 minutes. Bake in 2 loaf pans for 35 minutes at 350.
(PS - it freezes wonderfully!)


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Just a little PS... a friend at work asked two things, and I have two answers -

(1) By two-layer cake, well, that doesn't mean much - just ensure that the box says it is suitable for two layers if desired. All of the standard cake mix boxes at the store would have worked.
(2) No, you can't really taste any coconut, since I know a lot of people aren't a fan. I think it definitely helps with the moisture level and if there is any flavor, its subtle.

Meghan said...

OMG! I have a cookbook that looks identical...:)