Thursday, April 9, 2009

Shrimp Limone

Zio's Italian Restaurant in Olathe, KS...one of my all-time favorite Italian restaurants (and even one of my first employers, from my high school days!) I always order one of two things: Spaghetti with meat sauce and alfredo (trust me, it's a-MA-zing) or a super delicious dish called "Shrimp Limone."

I am proud to say that I have artfully mastered - yes, nearly mastered! - this dish to the point of tasting nearly identical to the restaurant. My first attempt was in college and while it was good, I didn't quite understand the principle of creating good cream sauces. Practice makes perfect, right?

I guesstimated the proportions listed below, and every time it's even better and closer to the real thing.
Why am I posting this today, you might wonder? Well, tomorrow night, Brett is taking me on a date at Zios - and even better, it was HIS idea! Since I just made Shrimp Limone last week, I might have to go with the spaghetti tomorrow night...we will see!


Shrimp Limone

2 TBS butter

2 TBS flour

1 pint half & half (2% milk will work, too)

salt, pepper, oregano

2 TBS lemon juice

1-2 TBS olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced

8 oz sliced mushrooms

1 can artichoke hearts, drained

2 roma or plum tomatoes, chopped
frozen cooked shrimp, thawed

angel hair pasta


1. In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, and whisk for 1 minute. Add half & half, and raise heat until sauce is boiling. Reduce to a simmer, and continue to whisk to remove lumps. Add salt, pepper, oregano and lemon juice. Adjust/add seasonings to taste.


2. In large skillet, sautee garlic in olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add artichoke hearts, tomatoes, shrimp, and cream sauce to pan. Cook all until heated through.

3. Boil angel hair pasta as directed. Serve shrimp mixture over angel hair.



1 comment:

genie said...

Hi Sarah
Don't know you but this came up when I googled the recipe "Shrimp Limone". Thanks for posting. I'm going to try it tomorrow for my daughter's birthday. Along with "Artichoke Spinach Pasta". Probably won't be as good as Zio's. I see you are from Olathe...I live in Independence. Small world. My son lives and works in Olathe. (And went to college there.)
Thanks again for the recipe.