Sunday, March 1, 2009

Apple-Raisin French Toast Casserole

Yes, you read it right.

It started like this: about 7 am this cold Sunday morning, hunger hit. I did the whole eggs + bacon + fried potatoes route yesterday, and my cholesterol couldn't take another hit. Today I wanted something...sweet. And rich. And comforting, and hot. Pancakes? I never was too good at flipping them... waffles? Those always seem to burn....French toast? Yes, getting closer... French toast drenched in apples and butter and cinnamon that bakes happily in the oven while I lay around in pajamas? Yes, perfect. (okay, so maybe my cholesterol DID take another hit....)

This ultimate breakfast comfort food was so yummy, I had seconds about an hour before dinner because I couldn't stop thinking about it. And actually, it would go splendid with a scoop of ice cream for dessert, and maybe some hot brandy syrup poured over the top.

Tip - the original recipe calls for this to be refrigerated overnight. I didn't realize this until halfway through putting it together so I went forward with it anyway. Looking back, I have no idea why it would need to be refrigerated that long - the bread was plenty moist and fluffy.

Apple-Raisin French Toast Casserole

3/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 C melted butter
3 red or golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 loaf raisin bread (cinnamon-raisin bread is okay too)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 C milk
1/2 TBS vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon

1. Spray PAM on a 9x13 baking dish. In a small bowl, mix apple slices, brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix in melted butter. Layer the apples on the bottom of the baking dish.
2. Beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and 2 tsp cinnamon in a medium bowl. Take each slice of bread and dunk it in the egg mixture for a minute or two until soggy. Then place the bread slices over the apples, covering the apples with 1-2 slices of bread.
3. Cover with aluminum foil and you may either refrigerate overnight or bake now.
4. Heat oven to 375 and bake for 40 minutes, covered. Remove foil and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.



No comments: