Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bifteck Saute Marchand de Vins (Pan-Broiled Steak with Red Wine Sauce)

This blog post represents so many things for me.

This is my first "real" recipe since the wedding. Our first "real" meal as husband and wife at home, at the table, with a bottle of wine and a candle lit. My first recipe out of my newest cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. This recipe is the start of so many new beginnings, but in many ways, the enhancement ("upgrade") of so many things that have been present in my life for years (namely, Brett and my love for cooking.)

As you may remember from my blog post several months ago, I was very inspired by the movie called Julie and Julia. After watching it, I just knew that I had to have Julia Child's most popular book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." You know, they do say that all true cooking stems from France (my personal belief is that it goes back to the butter. French cooking involves massive amounts of butter.) Now, I am well aware that many of the recipes in this book are not only above my skill set, but require ingredients and cooking tools that I don't yet have. So, in choosing my first recipe to try out of this book, I had to find something delicious yet do-able. I actually chose something very simple, and very similar to things I've made in the past. Once we have our house, and we've opened our many fancy kitchen items (currently sitting in boxes,) I can't wait to try bouillabaisse and roasted duck.

Now here I sit, less than 2 weeks beyond the most dramatic and beautiful turning point in my life. Presenting my first recipe as a married woman: Bifteck Saute Marchand de Vins!

Bifteck Saute Marchand de Vins (Pan-Broiled Steak with Red Wine Sauce)

2 TBS butter, divided
1 TBS olive oil
4 small or medium steaks (I used top sirloin)
2 large shallots, minced
1/2 C Cabernet Sauvignon
salt and pepper

1. Heat 1 TBS butter and olive oil over med-high heat until bubbly but not smoking. Use your most well-seasoned pan, as you want to catch the drippings. Add steaks. Depending on thickness, cook for several minutes, without moving steaks around. You want the edges to get nice and brown. Flip steaks and cook several more minutes until desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper. Remove steaks to a plate to rest and let juices redistribute.

2. Add shallots to pan and cook for one minute. Add red wine to pan, turning heat to medium. Let wine cook for 4-6 minutes until thick and reduced by half. Remove from heat and add 1 TBS butter. Serve steaks with sauced poured over.

(Note - these steaks went very well with a baked potato and super-ripe tomato slices with salt, pepper, balsamic and basil. And wine!)





1 comment:

Heather said...

Congrats on the next step in your life! :)