Monday, November 9, 2009

Turkey Croquettes with Spinach Potatoes

I love a good cookbook. I love old cookbooks, new cookbooks, celebrity cookbooks, homemade cookbooks. I love themed cookbooks - appetizers or drinks, for example. I love cookbook "guides" - The New Basics Cookbook is one on my shelf. I love itty bitty cookbooks with hard-to-find ingredients, and huge cookbooks in binders with every single ingredient in existence.

When I buy a cookbook or receive one as a gift, I read it cover to cover. I write down recipes and page numbers on a little card, that I then put in the front cover for future reference. I do this because, let's be honest - we all know that we won't use some recipes. That's ok. A cookbook, in my opinion, is like a set of photos - most will be just ok, but 5 or 6 will be total keepers, and you'll find yourself coming back to them over and over.

If there's one recipe I'm confident I will be making until I'm in a rocking chair, its this one. This recipe is from a Rachael Ray cookbook called "365: No Repeats" which I received as a gift from Brett's mom. I've made it twice now and the flavor is, well, incomparable. The pan drippings from the turkey croquettes make a to-die-for gravy - last week when I made this recipe, I literally ended up with the best gravy I have ever tasted (I was eating it with a spoon like soup.) The spinach potatoes are a perfect add-on. It sounds strange to put spinach into mashed potatoes, but you HAVE to do it! Its fantastic.

Enjoy!


Turkey Croquettes with Spinach Potatoes

3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lb ground turkey
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tsp poultry seasoning
dried thyme + parsely
salt + pepper
1 egg yolk
2 C bread crumbs
1/4 C olive oil
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
3 C chicken broth
1/2 C half and half (I buy fat free)
1/3 bag baby spinach, rinsed and patted dry

1. Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Salt the water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until tender.

2. While the potatoes cook, make the croquettes. Place the turkey in a bowl. Add celery, onions, poultry seasoning, the egg yolk, some dried herbs, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine and form 8 patties. Coat both sides of the patties with bread crumbs.

3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the patties 5 minutes on each side. Remove croquettes from pan and keep warm. Reduce the heat to low. Add 2 TBS butter to the skillet and melt, then whisk in the flour. Cook the roux for a minute or two. Whisk in 2.5 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Thicken for a minute or so, and reduce heat to low. Taste the gravy and season with salt and pepper if needed.

4. Drain the cooked potatoes and return to pan. Add remaining 2 TBS butter, half cup of chicken broth, and the cream. Season with salt and pepper and mash. Fold in the spinach leaves until they wilt into the potatoes.
5. To serve, place the potatoes on a plate and place the croquettes on top. Spoon gravy over the dish.




No comments: