Thursday, November 19, 2009

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

My plan for the blog this week was to upload a crab-cake recipe. Buuuuttt...things change. You see, I've had these two cans of pumpkin in the pantry. I was convinced that somewhere out there, I could find a cookie recipe that called for canned pumpkin, with the remainder of ingredients being items I would already have in my pantry. I got lucky! I stumbled across this recipe on Allrecipes - not only did it meet my criteria, but it ALSO has 4.5 stars and has been rated by almost 30,000 people! Ahhh, the beauty of Allrecipes.

Let me just tell you - these cookies, well, they're a keeper. The reviewers online said things like, "super moist - more like cake!" and "reminds me of a muffin top." At first I wasn't so sure - I've been craving real cookies! But I am so happy that I gave this one a shot. I could tell while they were baking that they would be super pretty, because they keep their shape while baking, rather than flattening like a normal cookie. But only after they were done baking did I take the first bite - YUM! Full of pumpkin flavor with hints of nutmeg and clove. The "cookie" is super soft - in fact, I agree with reviewers that you shouldn't wrap this cookie up - leave it exposed to air, or very loosely covered, because it is SO moist that the icing will soften and run all over the cookie.

I highly recommend that you make these little guys as soon as possible!

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

2.5 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, softened
1.5 C white sugar
1 can pumpkin
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Glaze
1.5 C powdered sugar
3 TBS milk
1 TBS melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Set aside.

2. In medium bowl, mix the 1/2 C softened butter + white sugar, using an electric beater. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 tsp vanilla. Beat until creamy. Slowly mix in dry ingredients. Do not overmix. Drop onto greased cookie sheet by spoonfuls; press down slightly.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cookies cool. To make glaze, mix the four ingredients and drizzle over the cookies.


No comments: