Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pizza Loaf !

This post is a fun one for me. Part of being my friend means occasionally letting me raid your cookbook/recipe collection. My friend Aimee subscribes to a cooking magazine called Taste of Home, and a couple months ago, I spent some time raiding her recipes from this magazine. One recipe she said I had to try was a "pizza loaf" - I was definitely intrigued! I wrote the recipe down and last week, decided to give it a go. Even before it was finished baking, I couldn't wait to eat it - you'll see why!

This recipe is a tiny bit tricky to put together but hopefully my directions help you through it. This is a perfect weeknight, dinner-in-front-of-the-TV meal. I also think it would work great as an appetizer if you're with friends. Be sure to serve it with a side of warm pizza sauce. This pizza loaf is piping hot on the inside with gobs of melted cheese and pepperoni. The crust is crunchy on the outside and doughy on the inside. It has become one of my new favorite recipes - sometimes its great to get away from more complicated recipes/ingredients and stick to something simple. I can't wait to make this again soon!!!

Pizza Loaf

2 packages of refrigerated crusty french loaf bread
1 TBS flour
1.5 C mozzarella
3/4 package pepperoni, finely sliced (apparently turkey pepperoni tastes just as good)
1 jar pizza sauce (I bought 2 because I love pizza sauce)
1 beaten egg white
2 TBS grated parm
italian seasoning

You will also need a rolling pin, counter space to roll the dough on, and a brush for the egg white, but a spoon would probably do just fine too.

1. Place one of the dough loafs on a floured surface. Using a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slit down the center to within half-inch of the bottom (don't cut all the way through!) Open dough so it lies flat. Sprinkle with a bit of flour on each side, so rolling pin doesn't stick. Roll into a 14"x5" rectangle. Repeat with 2nd loaf.

2. In a bowl, mix mozzarella and sliced pepperoni. Spread half of the mixture down the center of each loaf. Drizzle each loaf with 4-5 TBS of pizza sauce. Roll each loaf lengthwise into a log - HINT: this is tricky, so take it slow, because you log is probably very full! Pinch the sides of the log together to get it to hold its shape. Seal the seams on the ends, as well, by pinching together. Place each loaf, seam side down, on a baking sheet sprayed with PAM. Once the loaves are side-by-side, twist the loaves together 2-3 times - be careful that your loaves don't spill out their contents or break.

3. With a knife, make several shallow slashes on each loaf. Brush the entire loaf with egg whites. Sprinkle with parmesan and italian seasoning. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cover with foil and bake another 4 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with pizza sauce.




No comments: