Sunday, October 11, 2009

Maple Salmon

Generally I do my weekly grocery shopping at Wal-Mart - unless I need to get something from the meat counter or fresh seafood. A few weeks ago, while looking in the frozen fish section at Wal-Mart, I found a package of frozen Wild Alaskan salmon, on sale for $4 (for 4 small filets.) I thought this price was very reasonable and later that night, baked the salmon with salt, pepper and lemon juice. I was so surprised - it was excellent!! I grabbed my second bag of this salmon today while shopping, and found a recipe on Allrecipes for maple salmon.

This salmon is great because the glaze is sweet and salty at the same time. I was worried about the fact that I wasn't using real maple syrup (real maple syrup runs about $6-$8 per bottle - no thanks!) but as it turns out, this didn't matter...the sweet maple flavor was delicious. This is also a dish you can feel good about eating - it is jam-packed with Omega 3 oils. Salmon has more omega 3 oils per ounce than any other "common seafood," with the exception of herring. And with the many health benefits of Omega 3's (heart/joint/brain health), how could you not feel good about eating this yummy dish for dinner?!

Maple Salmon

1/4 C maple syrup
2 TBS soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp garlic salt
pinch of ground black pepper
1 lb fresh or frozen (thawed) salmon filets

In shallow dish, whisk syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt and pepper. Place salmon in dish. Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes, turning once.

Heat oven to 350. Bake salmon 15-20 minutes, until flakes easily with a fork.

(I served with a baked potato and roasted zuchinni/squash. The zucchini/squash works perfectly because it bakes in the same amount of time/temperature as the salmon.)











No comments: