Sunday, October 18, 2009

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

I adore Fall. If you asked me to name 100 things that I love about Fall, I could definitely do it - some of the things topping my list are....pulling out the sweaters + boots, drinking hot cocoa in my favorite pair of sweatpants, the leaves turning a vibrant orange, chilly winds that clear my mind after a stressful day at work, jumping onto crunchy leaves on the sidewalk, corn mazes, getting ready for holidays, and - without a doubt - anything pumpkin!!!

I've made this pumpkin bread recipe two years in a row. I wouldn't say that its "to die for" and I won't stop at this recipe with the belief that there's nothing better out there (my creamy tomato soup, now, that's another story - no more searching is needed!) That said, how can pumpkin bread NOT be good? With that awesome cinnamon-y, pumpkin-y, nutmeg-y, clove-y flavor, it's a Fall recipe through and through. Like so many other quick bread recipes, this one makes two good-sized loaves and freezes well. Enjoy, and HAPPY FALL!!!


Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
4 eggs
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 C water
2.5 C white sugar
3.5 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
3. In separate large bowl, mix pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, vanilla, water and sugar.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the moist ingredients and mix just until blended. Do not overmix.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.





No comments: