Thursday, October 1, 2009

Zucchini Bread

(Side note - I just realized that my last four posts have featured either pesto or zucchini...jeez, I need to mix it up!! I will next time, promise!)

Now onto that zucchini bread....

I really wish the pictures below of my faaaaaavorite zucchini bread would do this recipe justice. This bread is everything a good bread should be - incredibly moist, super easy to bake, relatively healthy (it has three zucchinis in it!!) and it bakes two good-sized loaves, so you can freeze one for later. It keeps well in the fridge, and goes perfectly either as a late night snack, or for breakfast at work. Do the pictures below tell us all those good things? No way! Suffice it to say, you should definitely try this recipe out.


A few words about the ingredients. You can make this bread with or without walnuts, depending on your preference. Also, the original recipe calls for 1 cup vegetable oil; please, please please use my suggestion below, and do 1/2 C vegetable oil and 1/2 C applesauce. It tastes idential (seriously!) and cuts out half the bad fat. Some cooks swear by applesauce in their breads...maybe I am becoming one of them!

Finally, its important to note that for the lightest, fluffiest cakes, breads and muffins...do not overmix your batter!!! I don't claim to be an expert, but everything I read and hear says that as SOON as your batter is somewhat combined (in terms of wet + dry ingredients,) STOP mixing! The more you mix, the more stiff the batter becomes, and the bread's texture will suffer.

Perfect for fall, and truly one of the most yummy breads around, I now present this amazing Zucchini Bread!

Zucchini Bread

3 C all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1 C white sugar
1 C packed brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract*
3-4 C grated zucchini (= 3 medium zucchinis)
1 C chopped walnuts (more/less/none)

*I use Neilson-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla from Williams-Sonoma...Brett's mom bought it for me awhile ago and I will never go back!

1. Grease and flour two 8x4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together in bowl.
3. In separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, brown sugar and white sugar together. Add dry sifted ingredients (one cup at a time) to the wet mixture. Mix until combined (I used an electric mixer.) Fold in zucchini and walnuts with a spatula. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake for approx. 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan before slicing.







No comments: