Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts and New Potatoes with Caper Sauce

Well, I've officially done 4 new recipes for the month of January - that NY resolution is 1/12 complete!

I spent way too long trying to decide what to do for dinner last weekend when Brett was in town. I was aiming for something seafood, but The Seafood Shop wasn't answering the phone and I didn't want to make the drive without knowing they were open. I had also planned on Creme Brulee so I could use the porcelain dishes and torch that Brett's mom Ellen bought me for Christmas. But, I read that it takes 4+ hours to set, and by mid-afternoon we had not even gone grocery shopping. So, I am hoping that next month, I can work in some seared scallops and creme brulee!

The dish that I ended up doing was really inspirational. I definitely re-worked the recipe a bit to cut down some fat and incorporate more color and flavor (original recipe is here.) The reason I found it to be so inspiring is because I realized...I could butterfly, then fill, chicken or pork with ANYTHING. One of my first thoughts was asparagus, cream cheese, garlic and herbs. Maybe I could even hold a drawing - throw dozens of ingredients in a hat and pick four! Seriously, though, it's endless.

Brett gives the potatoes a 5, his highest (and rarest!) rating. Eat up!


Spinach, Feta and Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/3 C. sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 egg white
4 slices bacon
  1. In a medium bowl, mix sundried tomatoes, spinach, feta cheese, garlic and egg white until well blended. Set aside.
  2. Carefully butterfly chicken breasts, making sure not to cut all the way through. Spoon spinach mixture into chicken breasts. Season chicken breasts with a bit of salt and pepper. Cut each slice of bacon in half, and wrap each chicken breast with both halves, securing with toothpicks. Cover.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until chicken is no longer pink. Spoon some of the juices in the pan over the chicken before serving.


New Potatoes with Caper Sauce

12 small new potatoes, scrubbed
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons capers, chopped
1 tablespoon minced green onion
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I used 1 TBS dried)
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Combine the softened butter, capers, green onion, Parmesan cheese, parsley and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. If potatoes are large, cut into halves or quarters. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
  3. Add the caper sauce to the pot of drained potatoes and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


No comments: