Saturday, January 17, 2009

Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

Time's gotten away from me and this morning I realized it's been eleven days since I posted a recipe (and I think I promised one per week.) The truth is, I planned on baking something new this weekend - I still have two recipes left for January if I want to meet my NY Resolution - but I haven't decided what or when to make it, so here is something for now.

I found this on Allrecipes, oh, maybe a year and a half ago? I didn't pay it much attention until my mom called one day and said she had found an amazing apple pie - and it was the same pie I'd checked out - so I decided to give it a go. This is officially the first pie I ever made - and it turned out so beautifully and so delicious. I use the refrigerated roll-out Pillsbury crust (shame, I know) but someday when I have the time (excuses, excuses) I will attempt a crust from scratch.

As you'll read below, it's a bit tricky pouring the sugar/butter mixture over the lattice crust, but please give it your best shot. The best part about this pie is that the mixture which doesn't quite make it through the lattice carmelizes on the crust while baking, so you have a deliciously crispy, buttery crust.

Kinda like this:


Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

9-inch double pie crust (for top and bottom) - design lattice into the top crust
1/2 C. unsalted butter

3 TBS all-purpose flour

1/2 C. white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 C. packed brown sugar

1/4 C. water
8 granny smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced into wedges

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil and reduce temperature, simmering for 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in a 9-inch pie dish. Fill with apples, mounding slightly. Drizzle 1/2 of the sugar/butter mixture over the apples. Cover with the lattice crust. Gently pour the remaining 1/2 of the sugar/butter mixture over the crust. Pour slowly so that the mixture seeps through the openings in the lattice and doesn't run off the side of the pan.

3. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.






No comments: