Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Spicy Peanut Chicken Over Rice

Welcome to one of the most delicious meals you will ever make: Spicy Peanut Chicken. I pulled this recipe from Cooking Light, Nov. '08, and have made it twice...it's deliciousness is far more than beginner's luck! For those of you who enjoy perusing cookbooks as much as I do, you might know what I mean when I say that it was one of the recipes where you flip the page, take a quick look at the picture and ingredients, and say "yes!" Everything about it just works. Some recipes have bizarre ingredients ("Swiss Chard, huh?") and others, odd flavor combinations like salmon and rhubarb. I don't want to come off as ordinary or predictable, but I generally don't give those things a shot (my mom is retired and she's another story!) I like simple ingredients that you just know will go perfectly together. Everything needed for this Spicy Peanut Chicken is probably in your pantry right now, and I swear it will make your house smell exactly like the thai restaurant down the street (assuming it's a good thai restaurant...)

Promise me you will make this with jasmine rice and add more kick than calls for. Oh, and it goes lovely with a cold beer.


Spicy Peanut Chicken Over Rice

1 TBS. peanut or olive oil
1 C. chopped medium onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 C. crunchy peanut butter (I used 1/2 C., will do again)
1.5 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (I dare you to add cayenne, too)
salt and pepper to taste
1 6-oz can. tomato paste
3 C. chopped plum or roma tomatoes (~6 tomatoes)
2 14-oz cans chicken broth
hot cooked rice
3/4 C. greek-style yogurt (I omitted)

1. Heat oil in dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onion and garlic, cooking until tender. Add chicken, cook until chicken is done and no longer pink. Stir in peanut butter, curry, red pepper, salt/pepper, and tomato paste. Cook 1 minute. Add tomato and broth. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer 30 minutes. Serve over rice and top with yogurt.

I served with steamed broccoli, and also cooked my rice in chicken broth. I would serve this for important guests, it is THAT delicious!

Happy eating! :-)

2 comments:

Heather said...

OMG! That looks soooo good! It's on my list to cook! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the blog and the pics! They keep it interesting! Yum!