Saturday, January 9, 2010

Taco Salad


After our New Years Eve party with our friends, we found ourselves with 4 large, unopened bags of tortilla chips. Now, Brett and I love chips and salsa, or chips and cheese dip, or chips and guacamole. But four bags of chips....that calls for something bigger. As I sat there wondering about the best way to get rid of the chips, I decided on two things - first, to give two bags of chips away to our friends. Second - TACO SALAD! I've never even made taco salad, so this idea was a winner. Even better, I was able to find other necessary ingredients already in my pantry: taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, Rotel. I sort of "invented" this taco salad on my own, based on things I already had.

This meal will take you about 20 minutes to throw together, and you end up with a heaping plate of yummy finger food! The first night, we ate the taco salad out of bowls because I was worried it would end up all over the floor.

Brett's suggestion for this near-perfect taco salad: jalepenos. I really don't know I overlooked this the first time but I totally agree, jalepenos would be the perfect addition!

Taco Salad

1 bag of Santitas corn tortilla chips
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 TBS olive oil
1 package taco seasoning
1 can chili beans
1 can spicy Rotel
1-2 C shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
canned jalepeno pepper slices
sour cream
2 TBS ranch dressing
3 TBS enchilada sauce

1. Cut chicken breasts into thin, small strips. Heat olive oil over medium heat, and add chicken. Cook until no longer pink inside (shouldn't be long since the chicken pieces are small.) Add taco seasoning and water according to taco seasoning package.

2. Assemble the rest of your taco salad. Take a couple handfuls of chips and place on a plate. Sprinkle some shredded cheese and add a few spoonfuls of beans. Zap in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove, and top with warm chicken, a couple spoonfuls of Rotel, a small handful of lettuce and a few jalepeno slices. Add a dollop of sour cream on top.

3. Mix ranch dressing and enchilada sauce in a small bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad.




No comments: