Friday, January 1, 2010

Cocktail Meatballs & Chicken Skewers

Looking back exactly a year ago, I was making a blog post for carmelized onion dip that I made for friends on New Years Eve. Well, its funny how nothing and everything changes in a year. My love for cooking, my wonderful friends, the place I live, the job I go to each day....none of it has changed. I did, however, acquire a new nephew as well as another very good friend, and biggest of all - I got engaged! I have so much to look forward to in 2010, and its fun to imagine where I will be on January, 1, 2011 - a married woman! Will I be in a new house? Will I be in my same position at work? Will I have made another new friend? It's all very, very exciting :)

Let's get to these yummy appetizers. I know cocktail meatballs are a total classic, but they were new for me, and I post almost every new recipe that I make on this blog. They were seriously delish! A bit sweet and so flavorful. Everything just goes in the crockpot for 3 hours and the only "accessory" you need is a toothpick! These little guys go down fast.

Next up are chicken pineapple skewers. This recipe is so fun to eat - anything on a skewer is! The recipe is easy to make, and since its broiled, the cook time is super fast. I made these in the afternoon and threw them in right when my friends arrived. These skewers were a HUGE hit; the chicken is very juicy (I attribute it to the fast cook-time) and the marinade is so flavorful.

Here's to a wonderfully exciting and peaceful 2010. I know I can't wait :)

Cocktail Meatballs

14-oz can jellied cranberry sauce
1 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
2 TBS brown sugar
3 tsp lemon juice
2 lb frozen meatballs

1. In slow cooker, place all ingredients on high for 2.5-3 hours. Stir occasionally. Eat with toothpicks and keep slow cooker on warm.



Chicken & Pineapple Skewers

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C soy sauce
1/3 C sugar
1.5 TBS olive oil
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 drops toasted sesame oil
1 can pineapple chunks
wooden skewers

1. In bowl or container, mix all ingredients from soy sauce through sesame oil.
2. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks, ensuring that you remove all fatty pieces. Place chicken in marinade and refrigerate for several hours.
3. Place wooden skewers in water for approx. 30 minutes. This prevents charring once they are broiled.
4. Thread chicken and pineapple onto skewers. I put about 4 pieces of chicken and 4 pineapple chunks onto each skewers, and cut the skewers in half after baking, so each "mini" skewer had two pieces of each.
5. Turn oven to broil, and broil skewers for 5 minutes on each side. If chicken still looks slightly pink, turn oven to 350 and bake for several more minutes.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to make these this weekend - I know we'll love them! Plus I've got all the ingredients on hand. That's always a plus. Your blogs sure help me with planning meals Sarah - thanks for sharing.