Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fried Zucchini

You see, I have these two friends named Aimee and Heather. They're both a little crazy, just like me, so we get along great :) Whether its building a home for Habitat for Humanity, sipping wine while gossiping, or trying to find the perfect outfit for a date/event, we seem to have a simply wonderful time whenever we're together.

For my 23rd birthday, Aimee and Heather got me a gift that they just knew I would love - and the second I opened it, I knew it would someday end up on my blog :-) They chose a cookbook by Giada De Laurentiis, one of the most beautiful italian cooks ever featured on the Food Network. And what could fit more perfectly with a cookbook, than a gorgeous glass and stainless steel cookbook holder from William Sonoma?




While Giada's cookbook is full of yummy pasta recipes, one recipe caught my eye because I've always wanted to make it - fried zucchini. According to the book, fried zucchini is served on the streets of Naples...which really makes me want to take a trip to Naples!! You can also make this recipe using sweet potato slices, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, etc.

Aimee and Heather, thanks for the awesome birthday gift!! Here's to many scrumptious Italian dishes in the near future <3

Fried Zucchini

1 3/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 C panko (Japanese bread crumbs - right next to bread crumbs at the store)
salt + pepper
2 large eggs
3 medium zucchini, cut into strips
olive oil, for frying

1. Mix the parmesan cheese, panko, salt and pepper in a low dish. In a separate dish, whisk eggs. Working in batches, dip the zucchini sticks in the egg mixture so that they are coated completely. Then dip the zucchini in the panko mixture, patting them to ensure the breading has adhered to the zucchini.

2. Heat 1-2 inches of olive oil in large pan. Working in batches, fry the zucchini sticks until they are golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to paper towels and drain.

3. Arrange on platter and sprinke with addtional Parmesan cheese, if desired.




1 comment:

Heather said...

Yay, I love! I'm glad you like it! :)