Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fierro Chicken

I know, I know, its been too long since I made a blog post! Things have been pretty crazy with Labor Day weekend, etc. So, today I will post two :-)

This recipe is called Fierro Chicken. I pulled it off of All Recipes, and I was intrigued because it looked very simple, and had good ratings (4.5 stars.) I generally only pull recipes off of All Recipes if they have ratings at or above 4 stars, because then I can be sure that many people have made the recipe and "tweaked" it to be more flavorful or more healthy. This recipe is a great example - while the original recipe calls for heavy cream, many reviewers had perfect success with fat free half and half. So, that's what I used and yup, tasted delicious :-)

I'm sorry the picture below isn't more appetizing. With something covered in so much delicious sauce, well, its hard to take a good photo! Brett loved the extra sauce mixed into the mexican rice which I served on the side.

Enjoy!

Fierro Chicken

5 oz cream cheese, softened
1.5 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
1 TBS chili powder (I used more + added cayenne)
3/4 C enchilada sauce
3/4 C fat free half and half
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
[the original recipe also called for 6 sliced button mushrooms but I omitted]
salt, pepper, cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
2. Mix all ingredients well, except the chicken.
3. Place chicken in the casserole pan, and cover with sauce. Bake in preheated oven until juices run clear, about 40 minutes
.



No comments: