Monday, December 29, 2008

Creamy Tomato Soup

I really am starting to enjoy making a variety of soups. Mom sent this one yesterday and I got the email on my blackberry, while Brett and I were running errands. Perfect timing, since I had no idea what to make for dinner. She even started the email with, "...the best tomato soup I've ever had" so it certainly had expectations to live up to....

...and I'll tell you what, I have to agree with her!

Be forewarned, it's a tad bit messy - don't wear your favorite shirt. I used a soup ladle to slowly put the soup into the blender (to puree) and then slowly take it back out - if you try pouring, be prepared for some nice splatters all over your kitchen.

What better thing could I serve with this soup than a piping hot, buttery crust grilled cheese??? I've been thinking about leftovers all day!

Mom's Creamy Tomato Soup

1TBS. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 T italian seasoning
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. baking soda
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (or a bit more, to taste)

1. Drizzle olive oil in bottom of dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent. Add tomatoes, baking soda, and italian seasoning. Stir for several minutes, then add chicken broth. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
2. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. (I worked in three batches - transferred soup to blender, pureed, then moved to large container. When all soup was pureed, I put back into saucepan.) When pureeing, pop out center of blender's lid so the soup can breath - be careful, it may splatter a bit. Return soup to pot, and stir in evaporated milk. Add pepper and nutmeg. Simmer several minutes before serving; stir occasionally if sitting in pot.



No comments: