Sunday, December 21, 2008

Another Classic

Earlier this week, I threw together another old favorite, Cajun Chicken Pasta. The reason I love this recipe is because it's so simple, so flexible, and so fast. I use whole wheat penne, buy whatever peppers are on sale, experiment with different mushrooms and rotate between chicken, sausage and shrimp (sometimes, all three!) I think the most important things to know about this recipe are that (a) it's fattening - the sauce is half and half, and (b) the sauce won't get real thick, in fact, it's basically a creamy liquid. Nothing that some warm, crusty garlic bread can't take care of.

Without further ado:


Cajun Chicken Pasta

8 oz. penne pasta
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
(
and/or 1/2 lb. shrimp, a coupla cajun sausages)
3 tsp. Cajun seasoning
few drizzles of olive oil
1 green bell pepper, cut into thin slices
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
6 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1-1.5 C half and half
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne
grated parmesan cheese

1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne, cook until al dente; drain.
2. Drizzle olive oil in large skillet; add chicken and Cajun seasoning. Cook over med/high heat until no longer pink and juices are clear. Add peppers and mushrooms; cook 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in half and half. Season the sauce with basil, lemon juice, salt/pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne.
3. Add pasta to skillet. Toss well and let sit over low heat for several minutes. Sprinke with parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread.
(serves 2 with plenty of leftovers, probably 4 with no leftovers)

If anyone wants to experiment with this baby and attempt a thicker, healthier sauce, I'd love to hear about it!!

_________________________________________

Pictures are fun, right?

My treasured Cooking Light/Rachael Ray collection...I am anxiously waiting for issue #1 of Food Network to arrive and that will be added! I can't imagine what this stack will look like when I'm oh, eighty.


And what good do all those magazines do if I don't have some sort of record-keeping system to maintain all the best-looking recipes?


From left to right: Mom's cookbook she made me awhile back (it's full to the brim); Ellen's gift to me, one of RR's books; Better Homes and Gardens; Bartender = from Chase that I think actually belongs to Brett; New Basics = a gift from Kathy and my dad a coupla years back; Appetizers = from Chase and Morgan; then a random collection of brochures, etc.

_______________________________________________________

Next week: 5 holiday treats, ALL of which are brand-new attempts for me! I can't share yet what they are because some of you readers may be receiving them!


Happy Holidays, everyone!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm making Puppy Chow either tonight or tomorrow, so beware! :)