Monday, May 3, 2010

Cream Cheese Black Bean Burritos

I don't want to scare you away but....these burritos are meatless.

(Pretend I didn't just say that. Now keep reading.)

I stumbled across this recipe a LONG time ago - over a year, I'd say. It had (has) rave reviews - and I gotta say, I totally get it. I more than get it: I want you to get it.

After letting this recipe sit in my binder, un-used and un-appreciated, for so long - it almost hurts! I could seriously sell these burritos mass-market, and I think people would buy them. The bean filling is, well, scrumptious. The black beans provide a mild "flavor base" (I made that up) and are completely coated in melted cream cheese. The jalepeno offers a nice kick while the green peppers and tomatoes add a ton of color and variety in texture. I'm not trying to sound like a food editor (my dream job, lately) but I do want each and every one of you to fully understand that these burritos are worthy of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

(And dessert.)

Delicious Black Bean Burritos

10-inch flour tortillas
olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 bell pepper, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel
1 jalepeno, minced
1 block cream cheese
salt, pepper
small handful of chopped cilantro
mexican spice blend, cumin
1 C shredded colby jack cheese

1. Heat 2 TBS oil over med-high heat in large skillet. Sautee onions, jalepeno and bell pepper for several minutes. Add garlic and sautee another minute. Add beans to skillet. Cook several minutes, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat to low. Add Rotel and cream cheese. Stir well, and add cilantro, spices, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.

3. Heat tortillas in microwave for 15 seconds apiece. Place a bit of shredded cheese in warm tortilla and top with approx. 1/2 C bean filling per tortilla. Wrap tightly.

***Note - this recipe as written makes 6 very good-size burritos. Brett can't eat more than one - and this recipe makes just a tad too much food for us. I would recommend cutting this recipe in half, but you could also make several burritos and freeze them. For breakfast or lunch, like I said! =) ***




(the bean filling which I read is very good as a dip with tortilla chips...)



3 comments:

Harvey Ever After said...

Hey! How long does it take to put this recipe together? Thanks!!

Sarah said...

Hey Elise!! This recipe is super fast - I would say 5 minutes to get everything together/chopped, 5-8 minutes to sautee, and 5 minutes to assemble burritos. So approx. 20 minutes start to finish. This is one of our favorite quick meals. I generally serve with canned corn and mexican rice on the side.

Harvey Ever After said...

Sarah, you were right - quick, easy, & delicious! Thanks!