Saturday, April 10, 2010

Avocado, Tomato & Mango Salsa

This is not your average salsa.

Actually, this isn't even salsa. But that's what it's called, so that's what I'm gonna call it!

This salsa is all of the things that I love about cooking - the comfort in standing over my cutting board, methodically chopping vegetables into perfectly imperfect pieces. The surprising combination of sweet and spicy in the same bite. The phenomenon of color - each ingredient being somewhat dull on its own, but contrasting and vibrant in the final product. The improvement of flavor with just a little bit of time, and patience.

This salsa is so much more than delicious alongside chicken or fish. This salsa is my favorite season, and my favorite colors, and my favorite fresh flavors, and my favorite hobby....tossed in a bowl and devoured shortly afterwards!

Avocado, Tomato and Mango Salsa

1 mango - peeled and diced
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
sprinkle of salt and pepper
juice of 1 lime
half of a red onion, diced
1 TBS olive oil

1. In medium bowl, combine all. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and stir well before serving. Serve alongside fish, chicken, or shrimp. Would also be delicious with chips or tortillas.




No comments: