Thursday, February 11, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes & Onions

I think this is the first time I've ever posted two blog posts in a period of 36 hours. But you see, I have this problem!! I keep a mental checklist of all the recipes I want to post. And, I keep the photos on a little SD card that quickly fills up. So when I cook quite a bit (which is lately....) both my mental list and photo card get just a bit bogged down. Its somewhat overwhelming, but in a good way!

I actually made these deeeeeelicious potatoes about 3-4 months ago, and then again a few weeks back. There is no way - I repeat, no way - that I can just "skip" and move on to another recipe. These potatoes do take awhile to bake, but its so worth it. Both times, I've done this recipe on a weekend, so I can let it bake while I make the rest of dinner or read a book.

This is a great side dish for just about anything, but both times, we've had it alongside pork chops. Something about pork and potatoes...I just can't explain it!

Without further ado...a side dish that I will be making for the next 60 years!

Scalloped Potatoes and Onions

5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced*
1 medium onion, sliced**
3 TBS butter
1/4 C flour
1 + 3/4 C chicken broth
2 TBS mayonnaise
salt, pepper, paprika

1. In a large, greased, glass baking dish, layer potatoes and onions.
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir with a whisk until clumps disappear. Gradually add broth, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper. Cook for approx. 2 minutes, or until thick, stirring with a whisk. Pour over potatoes, and sprinkle with paprika.
3. Bake, covered with foil, at 325 for 2 hours. When you lift the foil off before serving, be very careful...the steam is hot and will burn you!!


*if you have a mandoline, this would be a no-brainer. I don't. I like to be very hands on with my food, so much so that I chose not to add one to my bridal registry
**not diced, not minced, not chopped. Sliced, like half-circles. But you know, it will probably taste the same no matter what :)


No comments: