Sunday, August 16, 2009

Famous Pork Chops

Call me crazy, but I think its fun to try out different breadings - canned bread crumbs just get a bit old, in my opinion! In college, I discovered "Panko" - i.e. Japanese bread crumbs. Whereas normal bread crumbs can get somewhat soggy and are extremely fine - almost like sand - Panko has a lot of crunch and is made of bigger morsels. A few weeks back, I made chicken with cornflakes and was surprised at not only the crunchy breading but also the nice brown color. And this week, when making these pork chops, I used a totally new "breading" - Ritz crackers!!! The result? Buttery, crunchy, and delicious. And yes, you can totally taste the Ritz!

I made these pork chops with broccoli and creamed corn. It sounds good on paper, but as soon as I sat down to eat, I was slightly disappointed - the ONE thing this recipe was missing was some homemade gravy!!! I almost couldn't believe that I had overlooked it. And, although the pork chops were deliciously juicy, tender and flavorful - mashed potatoes and gravy on the side would have made this a 5-star dish.

Lesson learned!!


Famous Pork Chops

1 C. crushed reduced-fat Ritz crackers
garlic salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
4 pork chops
several TBS olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine crushed crackers, garlic salt and pepper in shallow dish. Dip pork chops in egg batter, then breading mix.

2. Heat olive oil to med-high heat in large skillet. Add pork chops and sear until they have a medium-brown color (1-2 minutes.) Flip and brown the other side.

3. Line a cookie sheet with foil and brush olive oil over the foil. Place pork chops on pan and cook for 20 minutes on one side in the oven. Flip, and bake for another 20 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, turn heat up to 375 to ensure a nice crispy exterior. Cut into one of the thicker porkchops when done baking, to ensure that they are cooked thoroughly - juices should run clear and center will be a creamy/slightly-pink color.









No comments: