Sunday, July 26, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Chips

Occasionally I'll get an envelope in the mail from my Mom - not for a birthday or holiday, but "just because." These envelopes very often contain recipes - and not just one or two - her latest had 8 recipes!!! This particular recipe is something she mailed last fall, which was perfect since all sorts of apples are in season in the fall. I'm not sure what inspired me to finally try this recipe today - all I needed were two apples, and I felt like doing something fun and new.

These little chips are indeed a ton of fun and very yummy! They're crunchy and sweet with just the right amount of tangy-ness (I just made that word up.) They will work perfect for a snack at work - I'm always looking for something light to munch on. And, these are healthy and nutritious!
Great recipe -thanks Mom!

Apple Cinnamon Chips

2 granny smith apples

cinnamon

sugar


Slice apples paper thin. Mom used her cheese-grater (one part of the grater can slice into thin strips) but I struggled with this; I used a sharp knife instead. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place apple slices on baking sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of apples. Bake at 225 degrees for 2 hours, turning the apples over once and sprinkling the other side with sugar and cinnamon. The apples are done when they are light brown (this was about 2 hours and 10 mins for me.) Let cool. Do not place in airtight containers, or wrap the apple chips up. If you do, they will get slightly soggy. It is best to let them sit on a plate - don't worry about them going bad!


Note: when you first pull them out of the oven, they won't be crispy right away - give them five minutes!


Warning: these are addictive...!




No comments: