Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homemade Salsa

First, let me start with two apologies -
(1) I apologize for not posting in two weeks. Truth is, I haven't really cooked much the past couple of weeks. No reason, just staying later at work, etc.
(2) I apologize that this recipe doesn't have a picture. It's salsa, so I think it's pretty easy to imagine, but I promise that next time I make it (summer is coming and that means delicious tomatoes) I will take a pic and post it.

Last year, I made homemade salsa for the first time. I've made a few alterations and additions and I think I've almost perfected it. Some advice...roma or plum tomatoes hold up best; putting some tomatoes in the food processor and leaving others just diced makes for a much more interesting texture; it is simply not possible to use too much cilantro; and, never ever EVER touch your face after chopping jalepenos.

I like to make a big batch and - what else - snack on with tortilla chips. It also goes great alongside chicken enchiladas...which gives me an idea for a future post....

Homemade Salsa

1 can stewed tomatoes
Several small fresh tomatoes (plum or roma - these are naturally fairly small)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
juice of 1/2 lime
salt/pepper to taste
small jalepeno, minced (no seeds)...OR you can sub. 4oz can green chiles
chopped FRESH cilantro (start with a small handful)

1. Put stewed tomatoes in food processor and pulse until mostly pureed (2-3 pulses). Put into medium bowl and add remaining ingredients. Let sit for several hours so the flavors can meld.


No comments: